From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Steve
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 1:20 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Fuel Accumulator Replacement - Stuck

Group,

An attempt to replace the fuel accumulator over the 3 day weekend kind of
failed.  Here
are my findings.  Perhaps someone will find the information useful in the
future.

1.  Looking at the Section 2, Subsection 1, group 0 parts diagram, the fuel
accumulator
has the 2 metal fittings pointing forward toward the fuel tank.  But on VIN
04421, it is
pointing backwards toward the engine.  Which way does yours point?

2.  I've been able to disconnect part #41, the 90 degree elbow, part 36, the
flexible fuel
pipe, and drop the whole accumulator down through the hole in chasis.
However, I am
having trouble with part #38, SPL Fir Tree Insert and part 4, Hose-Fuel
Return and Feed: I
can't disconnect them.  Generous amount of PB Blaster oil and long handled
wrench didn't
move the connector an inch where it is connected to the accumulator.  It's
like the fuel
accumulator and the metal fitting are welded together.  Banging the metal
connector didn't
help.  Is it possible someone put lock tight on the fitting?  Any
suggestions?

3.  In the struggle against seemingly welded together fittings, I damaged
the Fuel Return &
Feed Hose #4.  The hose (part 4) and the fitting (part 38) are coming apart.
It's leaking
fuel.  The rubber covering on the hose (part 4) is flaking off and exposing
white braided
material.  The part 4 and part 38 are press fitted together.  Perhaps it is
time to replace
the hose?  How do you repair the connection?

4.  From the flexible fuel pipe (part 36), I collected at least 5 gallons of
fuel.  According to
not running.
The car sat for at least 15 hours before work started.  Is my fuel system
messed up?

Thank you for your help.

Steve
VIN#04421