[DML] Re: Newsday Article

Patrick,

OK not a really bad engine choice, just under powered.  The engine is
reliable, just as any engine is when well maintained, and engineered.

I have owned cars that have run up well over 200,000 miles on them,
then the cost of fixing other problems wasn't worth keeping the car
anymore.  I do believe the highest milage car I had was traded in at
278,000 miles, it still ran great, but I couldn't justify dumping
another $1000 into a brake job, on a car with a book value of less
than $200.  BTW it was my first Camry, I have owned 3 of them, I still
have a '99 with only 13K miles on it, still runs great.  And it's not
for sale.

My first car was acutally a Holden (HG I think), in Australia, very
reliable but leaked like a sieve when it rained.  But the straight 6
was so powerful, and so easy to work on.  Was it an exotic like a
DeLorean, no I couldn't afford anything like an exotic back in 1978.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Patrick Conlon <PRC1216@xxxx> wrote:

> Bernie,
>     I disagree with the comment "a really bad engine choice (I think
we
> can all agree on this)".  I think the PRV is a good little engine,
> just not the fastest or most powerful engine choice that could have
> been made.  I've helped work on a fellow owner's DeLorean that had
> 300,000 miles on the original engine, never rebuilt.  Now compare
> that with a comparable Lotus engine from the 80's, and you'll find
> that 40,000 or 50,000 miles can be a lifetime for those engines.
>     Also remember that we were just coming out of an energy crisis
when
> the engine choice was made.  Getting 21-29 mpg is pretty good for a
> 25 year old car today.
>
> Whenever people give me a hard time at a car show about a 'puny'
> engine, I remind them that the '81 Corvette only made 180 HP.
>
> -Patrick C.
> Vin #1880
[moderator snip]