[DML] Re: Otterstat Popped Out While Driving

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Marv Hein" <marvhein@xxxx> wrote:

> I know I'm late to the party, but I got the Treadstone reference
> too. ;)

:-D

> One thing that struck me odd about your post was that your car
> appeared to be overheating while it was being driven.  Presumably
you
> were on a return trip when you overheated close to home.

That's correct.  But the car's temperature was fine the whole way.
Then as soon as the otterstat popped out and much of the coolant
departed the system - then it started overheating.

> When you are rolling, the radiator should be doing its job from
> normal air flow through the radiator, provided your thermostat
works,
> you have coolant that actually circulates, etc.  Especially this
time
> of year, fans shouldn't really come into play much unless you've
been
> standing in traffic quite a bit.

And this is exactly the type of behaviour I was seeing before I
embarked on removing the otterstat...  The car would only overheat
when it was idling or stuck in stop and go traffic.  As soon as I
got out onto the open freeway, or a long stretch of road where I
could get the speed up, the temperature gauge would come back down
to the quarter mark.

> Just a thought but my guess is your fans already work OK or you
will
> get your fans running and still have overheating issues.
>
> Idling in your driveway, your car should warm up to about the 1/4
> mark on the temp gauge and the fans should kick in very close to
this
> point.  This is a good way you can monitor your fan operation
without
> trying to figure it out on the road.  Also, are the fans blowing
in
> the proper direction?  They should blow toward the back of the
car.
> Watch your fingers!

I did indeed try this test at home after popping out the otterstat
and putting it back in.  I turned the car on and let it idle in the
driveway for fifteen min.  The temperature needle made it all the
way up to the halfway mark and I never heard the fans come on.

The other thing I tried was the air bleeding trick.  I've seen at
least two different methods of doing it - one where you just open
the screw and let the air out, and another where you need tubes and
buckets, running water and coolant.  I opted for the simpler method,
but I think after all is said and done, I will try the somewhat more
complicated one...  :-)