[DML] Re: Front bumper problem

DaDoc,
What you are seeing is ONLY the tip of the iceberg,so to speak,if there
is spread at both ends,it basically means the impact force was spread
throughout the area,(both sides and rearward)on the front fascia,and
also to the HDF(high density foam) structure underneath the fascia and
possibly the metal framing of the HDF structure,and onto the black
fiberglass under body,possibly cracking the under body,since this
section of the under body is basically a "hanging shelf" or
cantilevered Aka: a weak-point in the black body,that can get damaged
even in a minor collision.
Unfortunately the ONLY way to get this right again,is to pull off the
front fascia,and repair/replace any damaged parts or areas,the Delorean
is one of the few cars out there,that has the unique one piece
fiberglass under-body,that absorbs the impact of a front collision
(Lotus Esprit is the other)  throughout the black-body.Meaning that on
a VERY hard front impact,the whole fiberglass nose could/will shear-off
almost up to the front firewall will shear-off,but yet the passenger
compartment/interior WILL stay untouched,with the doors(both) still
able to open,because the impact will be absorbed throughout,and through
the cavities of the black-body that are filled with HDF,absorbing the
impact of the collision.(Like a sponge absorbing water)I hope that
gives you a prospective of what engineering went into the Development
of the black under-body.By the way,here is a little Trivia: THE
original reason the ERM,was not used was that,
Lotus were most unhappy about it all, not merely because the
prototype's roadholding and general rigidity were not helped by the big
cut-outs in the shell dictated by the gull-wing doors, but also because
of the safety limitations. Their own vast experience of both glassfibre-
based bodies and backbone chassis-frames led them to surmise that in
its original guise the DeLorean would fare very badly indeed in a
barrier crash test. Very shortly Grumman ? the US aerospace concern ?
were invited in by DeLorean to analyse the structure on their most
sophisticated computers; they did so and predicted that the rear-
mounted engine and gearbox would catch up with the occupants in the
front footwells in a 26mph crash test!.... Meaning that the whole
backend would crush flush with the dash!! You did not want to be in
that car! The reason to have a full length frame under the car.

cbl