[DML] Re: Improved Automatic Transmission Computer (Long)

[DML] Re: Improved Automatic Transmission Computer (Long)

Steve,

Great timing.  I was thinking of the same question.  I know I  read about
someone discussing a digitally controlled Automatic Transmission  Computer (ATC)
using a PIC computer.  Somehow I think that is overkill, but  maybe its just
that I'm an analog kind of guy, though.  I have been  frustrated with my ATC's
intermittent shifting (or not shifting)  problem.  I think I did finally get
it fixed though.

I previously moved the ATC to the left hand side of the engine  compartment
the first time I took it out because I did not want to have to keep  crawling
under the car each time I needed to look at it.  Of course I  believe that in
reality, IT was never bad in the first place and only started  going bad after
I fooled with it, which I did because of what I thought was a  weird
"shifting" problem.

Sometimes, when I am in third gear at medium throttle and medium load and
"give it more gas" the tranny slips so badly its as if it has been put into
neutral. I come off the gas and it catches right away.  It does really  happen
often, especially not that I know how to prevent it.  (To Dave T,  yes I finally
bought a tranny pressure gauge but of course haven't used it  yet.)   I
originally thought that it was down shifting into first  instead of second.  A set
of transmission solenoid LEDs (courtesy of Dave  T's help) proved that that
was not the problem.  But by that time the ATC  was already out and opened up.
After not finding the typical blown  capacitors I decide to move it to a more
easily accessed site because I just  knew I'd be in it again.

I did this by carefully desoldering the three wire that connect the boards
to the generator.  I soldered a shielded two conductor cable to the  generator,
and filled the rest of the case that housed the boards with silicone  rubber.
 You can then loosen and reroute the original black cable that  still goes to
the boards, along with your new shielded cable, back over the  tranny and
into the engine compartment.  Make sure you use cable ties to  keep the wires
away from the hot exhaust and any moving parts.

Using Dr Dave's theory that when ever something is not working, look at the
last thing you screwed around with...  The boards seems rather sensitive
mechanically especially the ribbon cable that connects the two together.   That
was the first to break.  I found a number of bad solder joints, which  by the
way looked fine even under a 10x loupe. Originally I did my testing  with the
car on jack stands so the wheels were off the ground.  I think  this lead to the
premature failure of my new CV boots so I don't recommend  it.  More recent
testing was done with the car engine off using a  variable voltage source made
from a 9 volt battery across a 100K - 10 turn  potentiometer.  This provides a
0 to 9 volt variable voltage that is easily  adjusted. I connected this to
the point where the two input diode connect  together.  Of course you'll need
the schematic to help troubleshoot.   I found that the 1st to 2nd up shift
occurred at ~ 3.8 volts, 2nd to 3rd up  shift at 7.4 volts.  3rd to 2nd down shift
at 5.37 volts and 2nd to 1st  downshift at 3.7 volts (which seems a bit too
close to the up shift  voltage.)

Using this method I found that touching or twisting the board would cause  it
to shift. I also found that the circuit is very sensitive to being shorted by
 the minute electricity conducted though my fingers and hands so I ended up
holding the board with a pair of plastic forceps and applying pressure to test
 for intermittent areas with another plastic probe.  I found several areas
that seemed to be the most sensitive to touch and position and resoldered all
the joints in those areas.  Again, the joints looked fine visually.   Also I
could not seem to get the coating off the boards prior to resoldering so  that
made it a bit difficult.  I used lacquer thinner but it didn't  work.

If I had to make a new ATC I think it would be similar to the one already  in
place, that is analog.  I would make it on one board so as to eliminate  the
ribbon cable and I would add protection diodes and bypass / filter caps to
the IC power as others have recommended in the past.  Shifting could be
adjusted by fine tuning the comparator resistors.  Not being all that  familiar with
digital PICs this would be the easiest for me.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Happy New Year!

D² & 6530
Dave Delman