Re: [DML] Water pump and internal water pipe removal

In a message dated 12/29/2005 5:33:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,
usndmc@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I am in  the process of replacing my all-original cooling system. I
have been  soaking the bolts for the water pipe and water pump with
penetrating oil  for a few days. Tomorrow morning I am going to get a
propane torch for  heating the bolts before removing. I don't have much
experience with this  sort of thing and was just looking for any tips
or advice on how to remove  these bolts without breaking them. Also, if
they do happen to break, I've  heard it's a real pain to drill them
out. Never done that before  either...any helpful pointers on the
entire process would be greatly  appreciated! Thanks everyone and Happy
upcoming New  Year!

Dave

Dave,

I did this a few years ago.  Here is what I did:

1. use penetrating oil for a couple of days prior to removal.
2. Use a propane torch to heat the bolt up.  Just point the torch  flame at
the bolt and the pipe it goes into.  Do this for maybe a minute or  so.  avoid
heating the block or heads because this kind of heat could  damage the
aluminum. keep a fire extinguisher handy and wear safety  glasses.
3. immediately after heating, use a ball-peen hammer and tap the head of  the
bolt a few times to jar it loose from any rust or whatever.
4. being sure to use the appropriate size 6 pt socket and high quality
ratchet and extensions, make sure you have plenty of room to maneuver (set this  up
before heating or tapping). Joe LoRe advised me to apply maximum power  right
away to the ratchet, as this minimizes the likelyhood of slowly twisting  the
head off if you go slow.  He reasoned that the sudden torque would  break the
bolt free and come out cleanly.  Not sure if this is best advice  but it
worked perfectly for me and I got the Y-pipe bolts out w/o any trouble at  all.
Make sure to replace all the O-rings and washers in there.   Don't cheap out
because you don't want to do this again!!

Good luck!
Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596