[DML] Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate

[DML] Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate

I'm not sure where to start with this list, but here goes.

NO DeLorean VIN tags were made from "tin materials", unless there
is a reason to call Aluminum a "tin".  All door VIN tags were SS
and most 500 series dash tags were SS.  It appears that all dash
VIN tags used on VIN...585 and later were aluminum (no tin).

There were NO DOOR WEIGHTS used in production or pre-production.

Hood grooves and gas flaps were eliminated because C.R. Brown did
not want them from Day 1 and the large number of reject stampings
were used to justify eventually producing the cheaper, flat hood.

Windshield antenna was not eliminated due to cost or labor cost,
again C. R. Brown insisted that a physical ariel be installed to
address the many poor reception claims from early DMC owners.
The fender mount antennas were a stop gap before the power units.

Door pull straps were re-located for functional reasons, not cost,
as were the dual key door locks to single key assemblies.  The
reason for the early, hand-made leather dash pieces is because of
lead time delays on production parts.  Again, this was a stop gap.

As for tire jacks, there area several stories, but as for tool kits
again, C.R. Brown ordered all tool kits removed from all DeLoreans
(production cars) as they arrived at the QAC locations.  Time was
more of an issue than cost for the later (82-83) owners manuals.

As for the SS frames not being installed on more than test or pilot
DeLoreans due to cost, this could not be further from the truth.
Lack of frame durability due to incorrect angled bends (for SS) and
the use of butt welds instead of seam welds led to the cancellation
of the SS frames after they failed initial durability tests.

All this and more will be explained by former DMC engineers as part
of the DeLorean 25th Anniversary events near Chicago in June 2006.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cbl1739" <cbl302@xxxx> wrote:

> Patrick,
> It's a rare item indeed, it was on my last Delorean(vin 00570)as
for
> one thing it is made from SS,while the later production ones are
made
> from crappy tin materials,that could easily get damaged or even
rot
> away!!(if exposed to the elements)
> Like other stuff on the Delorean,as production went on,cheaper
> materials,and more cost affective materials were used some
examples
> were: door weights,hoods without lines and gas door delete,cheaper
> radio,leather delete on the dash,windshield antenne/fender antenne
> (labor savings),seperate door pull strap,dual key system,The more
> expensive early owners manual,tool kit/tire jack ect ect.I am sure
> missed out stuff,that became/was downsized,the big one of course
was
> NOT to use a SS frame(only one car(that I know of) was factory
made
> with the SS frame)(see James report somewhere on the DMCNEWS site)
but