[DML] Re: Before the internet

Re: Before the internet

Jon,

Being most likely the first private person to do a ground up restore
(1982-84 and behond)I can safely say,that the vendors at the time
ONLY cared if you spent money with them,and the same went with
the "local" DMC dealerships at the time)they gave no helpful
advice,and DID not care,except for me spending $$$ in their parts
department.And with no workshop manuals available in that time
frame,you were on your own,in other words,I had to figure out,for
example how to lift the body off the frame,how to remove the
doors,and the torsion bars etc,Basically I had to 101 the Delorean on
my own,and in a way had to make my "own workshop manual" as I went
along,Remember NO workshop manuals in that time frame!! For me parts
were easy to find since I was doing a ground up,I advertised in
newspapers,for "Delorean parts wanted" and got calls,parts and leads
from all over the greater New England area,I EVEN got a call and a
very nice gentleman offered to sell to me/ claimed he had a Tan
Interior/sliding windows Delorean,(the proto or ?),if I was
interested in buying it.(in the shoreline area of Connecticut)he was
very sincere about it, but I never followed up on it,and never went
to see it,as at that time I did NOT know the full impact of what that
meant,(tan interior/sliding windows thing)and as I was looking for
parts,or parts cars,and not another Delorean,it just was a waste of
time,at that time.It still makes me sick today, when I think how I
passed that opportunity up!
Speaking from experience,from doing a resto without any outside
(vendor)help,all you have to do is look at the Bricklin(I am Not
putting those cars down,since I own a mint one)BUT they don't have
the same vendor/cult following as the Delorean,and as such are not as
popular and in demand.But even the Bricklin is helped out with the
Internet.What made it "easier" to own a Delorean,was a "mental
confidence" that most people started getting(in my case 1995)when I
bought my first desktop computer and went on line(at 14.4Kps)and
typed in "delorean" for the first time and found "others"(sites and
people,few,but growing) that had a interest in Deloreans in "real
time"(abit slow,but still real time),taking my Delorean community,as
I knew it, from being a local thing to being a nationwide "real time"
community,then later to a worldwide community. Actually I started at
the age of 17,with the FIRST "Delorean car" in the 70's which was the
Pontiac Gto's(seven of them at one point),then worked up to John's
other car the Chevy Vega(gt) and Motion.Per.V8 Vega,then the
Bricklins,then the Deloreans,now down to just one Bricklin.
The only drawback I could see is that,before the internet,the
Delorean seemed like a more rare car to own,as it seemed that each
person was more isolated,in their ownership/buying of a
Delorean,which made the car feel so rare to own.With the coming of
the Internet,along came what seemed/seems like a glutten of Deloreans
for sale,easy to find them/locate them,then Ebay and other sites come
along,making it "couch potato" easy to buy,sell and EVEN pay,and even
having it delivered!! And in some cases getting dirt cheap
Deloreans,and all that with the push of a few keystrokes,and without
even stepping out your front door.Welcome to the 21st. Century

cbl

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, doki_pen <doki_pen@xxxx> wrote:

> What did some of you long time owners do for assistance and parts
availability before you could use the internet as a resource?

> Also, do you think obscure cars, such as the delorean, would face
less ownership if it weren't for the knowledge that help and parts
availability is only a button click away?

> Growing up in the 80's and 90's, I wasn't in the financial position
to own a delorean until two years ago.  I had been following the
mailing lists and already knew who PJ Grady was when owning one of
these cars was but a dream.  Personally, the decision to puchase one,
especially one needing as much work as mine did, was made much easier
knowing all these resources were made so readily available.