[DML] Re: Before the internet

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, doki_pen <doki_pen@xxxx> wrote:

> ...do you think obscure cars, such as the delorean, would face less
ownership if it weren't for the knowledge that help and parts
availability is only a button click away?

Yes, I do, but I don't limit that to rare or obscure cars. I purchased
a '79 Corvette almost three years ago, and had it not been for the
Corvette Forum (corvetteforum.com), my ownership experience would have
been a whole lot worse. It's like being on the DML X 1000, except for
Vettes. Any kind of Vette. More real world experience and advice on
any Vette related topic that you can ever imagine. It's an enormous
forum. Even if you don't own a Vette, I highly recommend their Off
Topic forum. It's an experience!

> Growing up in the 80's and 90's, I wasn't in the financial position
to own a delorean until two years ago.  I had been following the
mailing lists and already knew who PJ Grady was when owning one of
these cars was but a dream.  Personally, the decision to puchase one,
especially one needing as much work as mine did, was made much easier
knowing all these resources were made so readily available.

If it were not for the Internet, I would not have a D today. While it
was thee dream car for me, I considered a DeLorean a high end exotic.
I assumed by now it was highly collectible, so probably as
unattainable as most Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Had I not Googled
"DeLorean" out of curiosity one day in '03, I might still think that,
and had never known the car of my dreams was still within reach. I
bookmarked all the primary DeLorean related sites and read them all
over and over and over, so by the time I purchased I knew who all the
"players" in the community were, and I had a clue about what I was
getting myself into. Heck, I still read all the sites over and over,
lol. The DML, The AZ-D Yahoo Group and DMC Help Forum make the
ownership of this car much easier and fun.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D