RE: [DML] Re: Hot Start Solution

I'd love to hear that Auto zone has a compatible tester,  but as far as
I know the easiest route is to pony up $85 or so and buy one from eBay -
search for Jetronic K and you will find several eBay stores stocking
them.

As far as changing out the cap, wires, and rotor, they can be replaced
by pulling the fuel mixture unit,  it seems a daunting task for but in
the end its not so bad  I can pull or put it in in about 20 minutes now.
With that out you have some, but limited access to the distributor.  All
in all its worth pulling the intake manifold too.  More to do, it will
take more time and the car will be down for a while as you realize that
you need to replace more stuff once you pull it off and find problems in
the "Valley of Death" - but wouldn't you rather find the problems now,
proactively.

The very best thing you can do (assuming you already have a shop manual,
in which case this is #2) if your shy about this stuff is to pack up
your tools and ratchet set and go to a local junkyard,  Find a Volvo
with a B28 engine and practice removing the fuel mixture unit, the
intake manifold, the cold start valve and tube, all that stuff, on a car
that is not yours and that you don't love.  Then take yours apart,
Start a list, shop the vendors, and clean up a bunch of potential
problems, all while having excellent access to the distributor while the
intake is off.  If you do it with just the mixture unit off and screw up
the clip that holds on the distributor cap, because you didn't have
enough room, you'll be going there anyway.

None of it is Brain Surgery - and you have a great resource here to help
you,  go for it.

Tom
10902