RE: [DML] Re: Trans problem-violent shake

RE: [DML] Re: Trans problem-violent shake

Dani,

I should have checked my records before responding. You only replaced the
disc (New Valeo) and an axle seal at the time. Had you spoken directly to me
at that time about an oil leak I would have suggested that the leak was
likely coming from the input shaft seal and would have advised you to split
the cases, sleeve the contact area, and change all of the seals and gaskets.
Unfortunately that is probably what you will have to do to prevent another
recurrence of this problem. I do think I suggested replacing the complete
clutch but don't recall a discussion about oil leakage. We recently did this
exact repair, about the same time you did yours, to another daily driver and
it solved the exact same problem. This time however you will probably need
to replace the complete clutch and grind/machine the flywheel if you want it
to last and be smooth. While you're in there I'd also suggest double pinning
the second gear shift fork for added longevity. The loads on your clutch and
driveline are a little different in both second (Is that a rolling shift or
from a dead stop?) and especially reverse so that does not eliminate the
likelihood of an oil fouled disc. The engine rear main seal is an unlikely
suspect as the disc is shielded from the seal by the flywheel and I've never
seen it foul the clutch. I would replace it while you're there anyway or
Murphy's Law will kick in and you know what your next problem will be! Sorry
for the gloomy diagnosis but I am pretty confident it's the right one.

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.