Re: [DML] Odd Temperature Gauge

My D used to behave the same way. Only sitting in traffic would the needle
pass the 1/4 mark. When I replaced the water pump and thermostat, the
needle would then go to the 1/4 mark and stay there. This confirmed that my
old thermostat was sticking open since the temperature gauge was untouched.

You can check for a stuck thermostat by starting the car when it's cold and
turning on the heater. When the air starts to get warm, the coolant inside
the engine block is now warm. Turn the car off and check the radiator.
Before I replaced the thermostat, it would be slightly warm too. After I
replaced the thermostat, it was cold.

I also discovered this is why I failed my first emissions test. The car
couldn't get up to full operating temperature before I took my first test.
The second time I had to wait in line and temp rose to the 1/4 mark and passed.

Chris
VIN 4099