[DML] Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN

The ping is the result of a premature burn in the combustion chamber.
Either too rapid or started too early. Modern car technology can
compensate for this with knock sensors. Performance can be
significantly affected by ping and/or sensor compensation. Octane is
the means of dealing with this in engines and different octanes are
recommended across varying performance types. The higher octane equals
less chance of ping or knock. The ping is noticed at the higher
compression demands of the engine, i.e. higher throttle openings, and
especially WOT.

I have found that with age, my DeLorean engine has developed a ping
around 3-4,000 RPM under WOT using "regular" gas (87). I have traced
the issue to what I believe to be the spring on the spark advance
weights in the distributor (I have clean intake valves and no carbon
buildup). I figure the spring is weakening over the years (50,000
miles when I noticed it)and giving me premature advance as the timing
light shows the advance slightly out of spec. I found the premium gas
stopped the ping and have observed no other performance issues. So, I
have not bothered with the weight spring and the cost of gas, given
the limited miles I drive, is not an issue.

Harold McElraft - 3354