[DML] Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN

Thanks very much for the info on this, I've been using 93 for this
car and my previous, will switch to 87 tomorrow.  Since I put 650
miles a week going back and forth to work, this is a real cost
savings.  The forum is great for stuff like this to those of us that
aren't very mechanically inclined.  But I had what might be a stupid
question: What do you mean by "less chance for detonation"???

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc@xxxx>
wrote:

> Hello Dan
>
> That is a very good question. And the answer to that would be that
whoever
> wrote the Owner's Handbook must have made a mistake or just forgot
> mention that in YOUR book. I say "your" book because mine clearly
states
> that in the USA 87 should be used and that 91 was for Europe.
Maybe I have a
> later version of the book that was updated.
> Anyway, in the Owner's Book that I have there is a mention of that
on page
> 40. Right on top, on the right side of the page. Here's an EXACT
copy of
> that:
>
> Fuel Requirements
> USA
> Your De Lorean is designed to operate at factory specifications at
UNLEADED
> GASOLINE only of at least 87 anti-knock index (R+M/2) (91 research
octane
> number)
>
> Is this a bulletproof enough source? :)
>
> Of course you might say that "at least" means that it can operate
on 93. And
> you will be right. It CANNOT use anything less that 87 because it
will cause
> damage. Anything more that 87 CAN be used. 93 CAN be used without
causing
> immediate damage to the engine but it is a great waste of money
and if the
> engine is designed to operate on 87 then 93 is not as good for it.
The

<tomciodmc@xxxx> wrote:

> >> One of the reasons for your failed emissions might be the
prolonged
> > use of
> >> premium fuel.
> >
> > Tom, here's another good question for you, or for anyone else
that can
> > address it:
> >
> > The DeLorean was manufactured to be sold in the United States
with the
> > exception of the 100 or so cars in the 17000 VIN series which
were for
> > Canada, right? The car was not technically for sale in Europe.
That