From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Transmission problems - an update

The broken roll pin and the bent shifter fork are from not fully
disengaging the clutch and forcing shifts. Probably from having the
plastic clutch line and/or just banging the poor box into gears. The
shifter fork can be straightened and the roll pin is easily changed
once you get the box out and apart. If you shift it "like a normal
person" and put the braided steel clutch line in you should not have
any problems with the manual transmission. For added peace of mind
many owners use synthetic gear oil. The claim is easier and smoother
shifting, especially in cold weather.