[DML] Re: Missing idle mixture screw?

Is the missing screw in the intake manifold or on the fuel
distributor?  That would help all of us to help you.  If it's
missing from the intake manifold, you have a major vacum leak.  If
your fuel distributor doesn't have some kind of plug on the
adjustment screw hole, you have a vacum leak there.  You will need
to plug it, a golf tee will do the job, just make sure you shorten
it to only plug the hole.  If there is no screw way down inside the
fuel distributor, then you have another problem, but I doubt this is
the case.  I would think your car wouldn't even run if that screw
was missing.

Once you replace the missing screw, you will need a tune up, as the
fuel mixture is going to be totally off.  What do your spark plugs
look like now?  You have replaced them, any signs of rich running
would show up and you can fix the problem.

25 bucks for an emissions test, what a rip off, does your state
allow waivers if you spend x amount of dollars trying to fix the
problem?  If so you should be OK if you just show your reciepts for
all of the parts you have replaced.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "vin4258" <vin4258@xxxx> wrote:

> Unfortunately, Utah does not exempt from emissions testing
vehicles
> built after 1967 (why would they when they can get their $25 per
> vehicle emissions test fee).  Any thoughts on the original
problem?
> The car seems to run just fine at all RPMs and starts right up
every
> time.  Also, the area where the screw seems to be missing has a
> raised ring area, where an adjustment screw would seem to fit, but
> instead of a screw is a deep hole...

[long quote trimmed by moderator]