[DML] Wendie Jo Sperber (Linda McFly) Obituary

[DML] Wendie Jo Sperber (Linda McFly) Obituary

LOS ANGELES - Actress     Wendie Jo Sperber, who starred
opposite     Tom Hanks on TV's "Bosom Buddies" and who in his words
became "a walking inspiration" after she contracted cancer, has
died. She was in her 40s.

Sperber died at home Tuesday after an eight-year battle with breast
cancer, publicist Jo-Ann Geffen said Wednesday.

A Los Angeles native, Sperber appeared in dozens of television shows
and movies, including all three "Back to the Future" films.

Her publicist first said Sperber was 46, but later said she was 43
based on an Internet resource. The Associated Press in September
reported Sperber's age as 47.

Sperber also had roles in     Steven Spielberg's "1941,"     Robert
Zemeckis' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," and Neal     Israel's "Moving
Violations" and "Bachelor Party." Her television credits
include "Murphy Brown," "Private Benjamin," "Will & Grace" and "8
Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter."

After being diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997, the actress became
an advocate for cancer care. In 2001, she founded the weSPARK Cancer
Support Center, which provides free emotional support, information
and social activities for individuals and families affected by
cancer.

Sperber helped unveil and promote a breast cancer stamp for the U.S.
Postal Service in 1998, Geffen said.

"The memory of Wendie Jo is that of a walking inspiration," Hanks
said in a statement. "She met the challenges of her illness with
love, cheer, joy and altruism. We are going to miss her as surely as
we are all better for knowing her."

Sperber is survived by a son and daughter, her parents, two sisters
and a brother.