From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Martin Gutkowski
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 4:19 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
hi
Hi David

It's actually the secondary shaft nut that backs off. I've dredged up my
photos of when I fixed mine

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DCP02272.JPG

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DCP02269.JPG

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DCP02277.JPG

On driving it, 5th was nonexistant, 4th made a racket, but 1,2 and 3
worked fine.

I think it's "luck of the draw" and little to do with driving style. My
car in the photos had 2353 miles on it when I bought it and this problem
was the reason why! I had the casing welded up, and replaced the nut
(loctite this time around!). If you find that fith is missing, this will
most likely be the problem. STOP driving, or you'll do that, or worse,
to the casing. FWIW though, any D owner who drives my car now comments
on how slick the gearchange is. Ironic really, and possibly due to
having needed new gear oil right back when I got it with low miles!

Martin
#1458 - in the pics

[long quote trimmed by moderator]