[DML] Re: Charles Schmitt Auction at EBay

[DML] Re: Charles Schmitt Auction at EBay

I caught pieces of this subject over the Thanksgiving weekend in St.
Louis, and wish that I had time to go visit Charles Schmitt. 20-plus
years ago when I was growing up in St. Louis, Charles Schmitt had the
local Rolls-Royce franchise and always had a wide selection of exotic
and interesting cars on display in his showroom and on the lot. When I
was 13-14 years old, he saw me wandering amongst the cars and instead
of jumping on my case about it, we had a nice long conversation about
cars and which ones I liked and what I liked about them. I would say
he was in his 50's then.

I heard that in the mid-eighties, he had his R-R franchise pulled for
discounting cars, which apparently R-R thought was unseemly for their
brand. After that his whole operation kind of went downhill, though he
still sells a number of cars. His son, I believe, also sells a number
fo cars on Ebay through his own dealership, Daniel Schmitt.

I don't think Charles is purposely trying to mislead anyone, in fact,
I think at his age he probably has very little to do with the listings
of cars on Ebay. At worst, he's guilty of being mis-informed about the
cars (how many car dealers aren't?). I would think that if someone
were to politely call the dealership and ask to speak to him or
whoever writes his ads, that he would be receptive to it. Heck, I
might do it myself just to see if he remembers me.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)