[DML] Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle@xxxx> wrote:

> Yeah - but if your costs go too high, the price will go up faster
> than demand will support it, demand will drop off, and you'll stop
> making them. It's still economics.
>
> Sell 'em while you can!
>
> Dave

Okay, Then I say find a way to increase demand. The best awareness
creator for the car already exists, and it runs like a two hour
commercial over and over on TBS. A lot of younger people who can't
help but know the BTTF films think the DeLorean itself was a prop
created for the movies because they were not around or old enough in
the '80s to remember the car being sold in dealers. I hear it all the
time at shows - "I didn't know it was a real car!!". they need to know
the car IS real, and something they can own someday.

Marketing to the nostalgic Thirty somethings I think is where it's at.
Make them aware that one of the few significant automobiles from the
era when they were coming of age is still out there, and affordable!
80's Ferraris like Testarossas and 308s are a little too pricey to
maintain for your average "Joe", and 3rd Gen Trans Ams, IROC Z28s and
even Fieros are almost all trashed junk by now, far from worth the
cost of restoration. The DeLorean is thee ultimate '80s nostalgia
automobile, and easily the best value as well. I believe there is big
potential, but unaware market for the DeLorean. Hey, if Apple Computer
can make a come back because good marketing made aesthetically
beautiful iMacs, towers and iPods a cool "must have" for a new
generation, then good marketing can do something similar for a vintage
car with contemporary, or "timeless" styling and modern upgrades. It's
all about changing and/or creating perceptions. If the vendors can get
people beyond it's current cult following to again desire the car,
it's demand will grow and it's value will increase, which will keep
them all in business well into the future.

Dan W.
VIN 16192