[DML] Re: Misc questions

If you are replacing the rotors replace the pads, they are too worn.
Replace the hardware too (the pins, anti-squeal shims, and
cotterpins). Replace the bearings if the old ones feel rough or are
loose. The rotors may be salavageable by cutting in a lathe.

The door locks are not usually an inspection issue. Disconect the
locking module. The top trim pulls off. The bottom one does too but
there are some bolts that have to be removed. The plastic pieces don't
always break but if they do you can either find them locally or order
them from a vender. Adjusting the linkage is a little complicated and
time consuming. Go slow and be careful of the sharp edges of the S/S
inside the doors. Make sure the locking anchor pins are properly
adjusted and everything is well lubricated BEFORE messing with the
insides of the doors.

The headlights may just be a case of bad relays. Clean up all the
connections and replace the high and low relays.

If you don't have a jack and know how to use it safely go to a gas
station and they can put a new switch in. It won't cost much and is
MUCH safer. Cheaper than getting squashed by your car. In the meantime
you can test the wiring by touching the 2 wires together with the key
on. The lights should light up verifying the circuit and the need for
a new switch. While the mechanic does the brakes he could do the switch.

The Workshop Manual assumes some working knowledge of automobile
repair. It is not a "Dummy's Guide". It was meant for the mechanics
working at a dealership already familiar with cars.

Best to have someone actually SHOW you and demonstrate the correct and
safe way to lift a car and support it with jackstands. I, personally
detest ramps. They can flop over sideways and if you are not careful
you can overrun them getting up on them. On low cars like Deloreans
you can also damage the underside geting on and off. They won't get
you high enough anyway to use a creeper and you can't work on the
wheels or brakes.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757