[DML] Re: Front End shimmy

It sounds like you need to go to a good front-end shop. Shimmy is
"usually" caused by worn parts and/or bad tires. Replacing the
worn/bad parts should correct the shimmy and straighten the wheels but
the alignment should be checked anyway. Checking the balance and the
wear on the tires should also be done. On one car that had a BAD
vibration in the steering wheel it was traced to a loose bolt on the
u-joint between the steering column and the rack. It could be any part
so you have to check ALL of the parts for wear, looseness, bent, etc.
It is possible a tow truck driver bent your lower control arm on one
side. Start with a thourgh visual examination on a lift or jackstands.
Check the tire pressures. Measure the tread on the tires in several
spots. Grease the front end. Do all the simple stuff first and see if
that helps. BTW the steering wheel should be centered when driving
straight ahead on a smooth, level road. If it is not that is an
indicator for the need for front end work (worn parts and/or a sloppy
alignment job). There should be NO play or looseness in the steering.
It is supposed to be very tight and responsive.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757