RE: [DML] RE: Strange acceleration problem

RE: [DML] RE: Strange acceleration problem

I remember being in this position.  That "lack of
power, engine bogdown, engine miss" feeling when the
car was cold....totally sucks.

I tried everything - all new vacuum lines, 3 new CPRs,
fuel filter, pressure tested the fuel system, tuned
the car via dwellmeter, performed every
ground/electrical test on any ECU I could find,
tightened/cleaned the bulkhead connectors behind the
coil cover, tried 2 different coils, opted for an
entirely new ignition system....I offered to tell
everyone what my problem was that fixed it but no one
seemed interested.  Since there's a new interest in it
now, I'll tell everyone.  My problem was simply bad
spark plugs *shrugs*.  Don't ask how, but I replaced
them and boom - everything works great - almost.  I
still have a very minor engine miss when flooring the
car, but no where near as bad as with the old plugs.
My engine was missing so badly that my car was
stalling in traffic, misfiring in any gear with any
extra toy in the car on, miss when cold, warm, or hot,
accelerating from a dead stop, accelerating while
already driving down the road - it was horrific.  Now
it's extremely minor when full acceleration from a
dead stop - almost undetectable.

Casey and I have more ideas on where to go with this.
Firstly, I'm running Champion plugs, which are Ok -
but I've heard from some here they are not right for
the car and will fail quickly.  I didn't believe this,
but I'm starting to now =P.  I've got the correct
Bosch plugs ready now - HR6DC's.  Also, I'm going to
JB Weld that mixture screw hole soon; I toy with it
WAY too much.  I know my mixture is off again by my
own stupid toying with it, and my timing is off when
giving the engine throttle at I believe 3000rpms.  We
know why that is, last November while we were
replacing the exhaust manifolds, we took apart the
electrical distributor.  There was only one spring in
it so I gave Casey the go ahead to add another one.
The logic of having two springs based on just about
every other distributor known to the mechanic world
seemed just, so one was added.  Now, it's going to be
taken away - heh.  Live and learn.  There's a nice
picture of the insides of the electrical distributor
on John's website.  If that picture had only been on
the Net a year ago....oh well =P.

Soon, Casey and I are getting together and we're going
through the entire car's ignition system.  Once the
electrical distributor is taken care of, we're
checking all the old plugs and comparing them to the
new plugs, checking the plug wires for any "broken"
problems, and possibly taking all 6 injectors in jars
and making sure they're spraying correctly.  They are
under a year old, but new doesn't always necessarily
meaning "working"...

Fun fun fun.

Jeremiah

http://farechase.yahoo.com