[DML] Re: Towing the DMC

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxx>
wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience towing a DeLorean?
> Mine is an automatic, I would love to be able to simply tow it with
a pull
> bar,
> you know where it rides on it's own wheels with an attacthed bar
directly
> behind
> the tow vehicle. I see a lot of RV's pulling cars this way.
> I figure I could just put it in nuetral right?
>
> I need to pull it with my car, a Dodge Magnum, which claims to only
pull
> about 3800 pounds.
> Since the DMC is 2800, that only leaves about 1000 pounds for a cau
hauler
> which is pushing it.
> If I could pull just the car itself it would be a huge relief.
>
> Any suggestions?
> - Videobob

Just put your D on a car hauler and haul it with your magnum. It
should be fine especially if you've opted for one of the 'good' ones
with a hemi.  Rated tow capactites are generally just 'guidelines'
set by the manufacturer. Just like max gross vehicle weight.
Generally vehicles are capable of alot more than they're rated for.
The stated numbers are generally just a CYA from the auto
manufacturers so if you exceed them and have an accident or
something, you can't sue them.

The most important aspects of towing loads safely are 1) hitch

1) You allways want the proper weight distrobution on the trailer,
with the proper load on the hitch that it's rated for. (Think it's
300-400lbs or so on most good heavy duty hitches) Basicly you want
enough weight it can't possibly bounce off, but not so much your
taxing the rear suspension on the tow vehicle.

2) Stopping power is really the most important thing and is the main
thing that sets tow limits. Just used a good 4wheel car hauler with
trailer brakes, and get a brake controller and hook to your
brakelights on your magnum to control them and you won't have a bit
of problem with this.

3) Well torque isn't really needed for safety, but if you have to
deal with any hills, the more the merrier. If you have a hemi you
won't have any issues with this. Even if you have the V6 then you'll
still probably be ok, just don't plan on doing much fast
accelerating. :)

Also.. drive like your pulling a trailer.. not like your late for an
appointment somewhere.. You allways have to remember your dealing
with twice the length (or more) and twice the mass.. There is no
stopping in a hurry or squeezing between cars in the other lane and
the like...

Chris
VIN#3209