Re: [DML] Newbie Owner - First Question

o0shoryuken0o wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I've been lurking here for quite some time as I've had an interest in
> buying a DMC - finally bought one this month!
>
> There is so much that I have to learn but my first question is:
>
> What the heck is "Negative Earth"?  What about this vehicle's
> electrical system gives it that classification?

Earth = Ground.  That just means that the ground (or "earth") on the car is defined to be negative, so the frame and everything else is tied to the negative battery terminal -- in other words, it's like virtually every other car in the world.  Expect someone to chime in with the exceptions, but you can safely ignore them.  :-)

>  One thing that the
> owner made me aware of is that over time, the battery will lose its
> charge.  After about two weeks I am starting to notice that.  It still
> starts, but gradually it is losing it.

Best bet is to find out what's actually drawing current.  You can experiment by pulling relays, and using a current meter.  On my car, the culprit was the door lighting that turns on when a door is up.  The switch that turns it off (when the door is closed) wasn't functioning, so the lights were staying on.

-Owen