[DML] Re: Torsion bar adjustment

Ryan - We have seen this sort of issue a number of times.  A couple
of us in the PNDC carry a little kit to each tech session with a
thread tap and some new bolts for this challenge.  If you don't want
to buy an entire tap and die set, you can purchase individual taps
from just about anywhere.  It takes an 8mm X 1.25mm tap.  Make sure
the tap is square to the hole, and take it slowly.  Match the
threads on the tap to any existing threads in the rivnut.  If the
threads in the rivnut are totally gone, you will have to replace
that.

For the driver's side that is stuck on the end of the torsion bar,
the only way to get them off is to "walk" them off with two flat
screw drivers.  It's tedious, but usually successful if you give
yourself time to work it off.  If that absolutely isn't going to
work out, email me off-list and we can talk about other options.

When reinstalling the bolts after all of this is sorted out,
remember to use antiseize compound in the threads, and also on the
splines of the bar.  Call me if you need me.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx> wrote:
> OK, there's a problem. One of the bolt holes on the passenger side
is stripped beyond repair. We relieved all pressure on the torsion
bar and now I have to figure out how to fix this. I'm guessing
it's "tap & die" time?

> Driver's side bolts are just fine. Came off & went on without a
> problem. The bracket is stuck to the torsion bar and won't come
off;