[DML] Re: What else used our alternators?

[DML] Re: What else used our alternators?

Re: What else used our alternators?

Matt,

If your orignal alternator is going or dead,TRY to stay away from a
orignal DMC alternators,One of the MAIN reasons for Delorean engine
fires(on the lower bottom part of the engines)was in  fact from the
low amperage(output) of the factory alternators,as they were marginal
AT BEST,when working correct,but when they started having
problems/acting up watch out!,And as explained in previous posts,when
the original alternators,don't produce enough current,
(ie:failing,granted the battery acts to satisfy this demand,but only
to a certain extent)to satisfy THE demands of running the engine
(ie:spark)some fuel may not get burned,which in turn gets passed down
the line,into the catholic Converter,and if enough unburned fuel is
allowed to get into the catholic converter,it in itself,becomes it's
own combustion chamber!! Which in turn burns this unburned fuel,BUT
unlike the engine(it has no radiators or cooling system,except for
air flow,and being WAY back of the car in the Delorean,when
overheated) has nowhere to expel this white hot heat,that is
generated,so the Catholic converter in itself,now becomes a white hot
glowing radiator,which in turn,is now trying to expel the heat into
the air,BUT being in a confined area,in this case(in a Delorean)it is
incased in a BIG plastic box!!  So the first things to transfer this
heat to is ANY shields,then to any metal(namely the frame rail
(s),since the frame rail is coated in epoxy,it shields(takes) some of
the heat,up to a certain point,then that starts melting/or burning
(the epoxy),which then completes the cycle which is to expand(or
radiate) onto the fiberglass sides of the engine pontoons,once that
happens,then it becomes a melting pot of fuel,which the heat/ fire
could feed upon itself. I would stress not to use the original
alternators(especially the Ducies or is it the Motorolas,either
way),and go with the vendors updated GM higher amp alternators.LOOK
at any Delorean that had a lower case engine fire,and 99% of them
started at or by the converter.(where the burn started from)
Granted,some were started by electrical or gas line failures,or poor
repair,but those are usually on the top side of the engine,NOT the
bottom side of the engine.Malcom Bricklin saw a issue in that and
USED NO CAT converters on his car.That is when,you usually hear the
stories about someone cruising along in their D,and their cars catch
on fire mysteriously in the engine compartment.

Hope this helps

cbl