[DML] Re: ?? Separating Tie rod end from steering knuckle, HOW?

[DML] Re: ?? Separating Tie rod end from steering knuckle, HOW?

The "pickle fork" does damage the seal and it can potentially damage
the tie rod end too. Not a big deal if you are replacing the parts but
definately bad news if you are trying to save things. It is fast so
most shops use them because they are replacing everything anyway.
There are 2 other ways you can separate the tie rod end. Back up the
knuckle where the tie rod end attaches with a jackstand so it can't
move, remove the nut, turn it over and thread it back on so it is
flush with the end of the threads. Now WHACK it HARD and STRAIGHT with
a HEAVY hammer. One shot should loosen it. This can also damage the
tie rod end. The "safest" way is to use a tie rod seperator that looks
like a puller. You tighten up the center screw and shock it with a
hammer. Even these can damage the seal so in all cases you have to
figure at least replacing the seals. If you do replace the tie rod end
figure on getting an alignment. You will not be able to count the
turns and put the new one in, you can be off a 1/2 a thread and that
is a lot. If the old end is loose or sloppy it should be replaced.
When replacing make sure the taper is VERY CLEAN on the tie rod end
and inside the knuckle. It must fit very tightly or it will loosen up.
   There are 2 alignment adjustments here, toe and centering the
steering wheel. You cannot do this accurately without a machine. You
also cannot do it accurately with worn parts. There should be NO play
in the steering, it should not "lead" to either side on a smooth road,
no heavy vibrations, and the steering wheel is supposed to be centered
when going straight. If your car does not drive like that you have a
problem that has to be fixed before you can have an alignment. Look at
the tires and see how they are wearing and check the pressures.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757