[DML] Re: Alternator Belt

Good question. The manual (M:04:01) says 6-10 mm with moderate thumb
pressure from the top. So what is moderate and how do you measure
the deflection? I use to do it with a long straight edge I had and I
used a flat edge to deflect the belt.

I found that the best way to assure proper tightening was to do it
when the engine is cold. After a few service cycles I retightened
the belt with the engine cold.

After a few belt replacements I just went with the feel. Usually the
belt will slip some if the car has been in the rain and the engine
is cold. Otherwise I have had no problems - except a defective belt
broke on me once (a Gates). I know it was defective because I could
never get the belt quite tight enough. It would not feel tight and
it slipped a lot. Before I could replace it split apart and came
off. New belt too. So, if a belt seems to be giving a problem
replace it. I always carry a new spare - it is just too critical a
belt.

Harold McElraft - 3354