Re: [DML] "D" may stand for Divorce....the ongoing 6859 saga

Re: [DML] "D" may stand for Divorce....the ongoing 6859 saga

For what it's worth, I've pulled my transmission twice in the past
year. First time to replace the clutch, second time to fix a problem I
created when replacing the clutch.

It's not fun, but it's not terrible, either. If you choose to do this
yourself, you will need:

1. A set of four heavy duty jack stands. Do NOT cheap out. My first
set ($8/pair at Wal-Mart) collapsed while the car was in the air.
Thank God I was not under it at the time. They were rated well above
what I was using them for, too. They've been replaced with heavy duty
"SUV" jack stands @ $35/pair because I'm now paranoid.

2. A really nice jack; two jacks and a helper will make getting the
car up and down easier, but I did it all myself.

3. Infinite patience, care, and concern. The entire car needs to be up
the air quite high to get this done right, and it has to be level -
you can't just jack the back up. Putting a car up this high on four
jack stands is dangerous. You have to move each end slowly, a few
inches at a time, and just watch yourself.

Or, replace steps 1 through 3 with a lift. I will be putting a lift
into the next house/garage I build.

4. Once the car is up you MUST have a good transmission jack. I took
mine out the first time with a regular floor jack and didn't have
problems, but getting it back in was impossible. After countless hours
of pain and frustration I went out and bought a transmission jack; it
slid right in after that.

5. Get the car up high enough to slide yourself in on a creeper so you
don't have to lay on the concrete. Makes things much easier.

If I had to pull my transmission again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I,
too, thought about hiring it out the second time until I realized it
would cost me a thousand bucks and they'd break who knows what while
they were under there. So I spent another weekend under the car.

-Ryan