Re: [DML] Hard start problem

Ok.  This is where owning the Bosch K-Jetronic Fuel
Pressure System and a dwellmeter comes in VERY handy.
One owner recently said (paraphrased) - "I don't know
why people bend big money on random parts, but won't
spend $25.99 on a dwellmeter, and $59.99 on the Bosch
Fuel Pressure Gauges".  I completely agree on this.  I
used to throw hundred of dollars at random parts, but
wouldn't take the time to buy those two tools.  Heh,
how times have changed now....

What you really need to do is two things.

1.  Get this for $57.99:http://tinyurl.com/9jjep .
Once you have it, hook it up to the fuel system, and
read all the pressures.  If they are accurate, go to
step two.  If not, then buy what you believe you need
based on your symptoms and your faulty fuel pressure
(rest, standing, starting, etc).

2.  Get a dwellmeter and do this:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7u0gn/id6.html .  Credit
to Dave Sontos as that is his website, and I hope he
doesn't mind me directing you to it.  It has pictures
and everything you need to accurately tune the
DeLorean's lambda system.  Once the readings on the
dwellmeter are accurate, then you should be ok.  If
your car displays any irrational symptoms at this
point, a component or system is not working correctly,
which we can go further into once you've done these
things.

I hope I don't sound like a butthead; I'm not trying
to be.  I'm simply telling you what to do to save time
and narrow it down with accuracy.  For that side of
you that's saying "just please tell me what part to
buy" - it could be either the accumulator or the
O-rings that go in the primary pressure regulator.  My
car used to do what yours is doing, and my accumulator
is still under 1 year old.  I had the O-rings in the
PPR changed, and I haven't had a problem since.  $3.50
was all that cost.

For the cold start fire and die problem, I have an
idea on what it could be.  Simply put, Casey and I
recently did steps 1 and 2 to my car, and it has been
running great ever since.  I got a little jittery - as
I never have really driven my car with the lambda
system hooked up - and thought it was displaying
symptoms that indicated the mixture screw was just a
TTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDD (less than 1/8 of a turn) on
the lean side.  So Casey told me to go ahead and just
BBAARREEELLLLYYYY turn it.  I did - and boom - your
symptoms started appearing on my car.  So I turned it
back, so far so good.  What that story is saying -
your car could be just a hair too rich - and I mean
just a tiny tiny little bit.  So tiny that the turn on
the mixture screw wouldn't display ANY difference in
your engine's idling.

Remember, that's just an idea of what it could be.
This is just my experience talking, and every DeLorean
owner's experience is unique and normally should not
serve as a "yardstick" so to speak.

Jeremiah

http://mail.yahoo.com