Re: [DML] LONG! Electrical experts: Fan relay wiring help

Re: [DML] LONG! Electrical experts: Fan relay wiring help

Duke,
Looking over the wiring and pictures, it looks like the mechanic at least
did the job correctly (although a bit ugly). Each fan has a relay and fuse,
so the current setup is safe. However, I wouldn't bother trying to get the
wiring back to stock. It may not be long enough now and you don't want to
have a bunch of short jumpers in there. So if I was you, I would cut the
ends off the fan controller and use butt connectors (or better yet solder)
and connect it directly to the car's wiring.

Let's start with the connector that has the two fused wires. These two
wires provide power to the fans. Connect each one to the black/green wires
(order is not important). The third remaining smaller wire on the connector
is for the fan fail light. This isn't necessary, but it connects to the
purple/brown wire if you can find it.

On the other fan controller connector, there are two wires. The green wire
is the ground. Just connect this to any ground point or ground wire. The
red wire is the 12V trigger wire. This connects to the black/orange wire.
But from your diagram, you have a black/brown. Follow this wire and see if
it connects to a black/orange. If not, test to confirm it's the trigger
wire. You can do this by checking for 12V when the AC compressor has cycled
on. And with the compressor cycled off and a cool engine, there should be 0
volts.

Finally, there is the main power wire for the controller. Just run this
directly to the battery. The brown/slate wire is no longer necessary.
Remove them from where they split off the brown wire. Wrap the brown wire
up in electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to prevent it from shorting.

I hope this helps. Should you want to restore to the factory had it, you
can still skip the circuit breaker connections, because it's bypassed by
the fan controller. Page M:18:10 of the workshop manual has the schematic
for this system, which may be helpful.

Chris
VIN 4099