[DML] Legend Turbo Deloreans

Legend Industries was contracted by DeLorean Motor
Company to produce a Turbo option for a "Type S"
option to be offered in 1984.

Because DeLorean knew pretty early on that the PRV
stock performance left a lot to be desired, he
contracted Legend Industries early on in the project.
(They had been successful at adding turbos to Fiat's)

Fred Delis and his team in Long Island NY started work
on the Twin-Turbo PRV project before there were any
complete DeLoreans available.  Initial testing was
done on 2 Renault Alpine vehicles.

Because this project was a priority, Legend was
shipped 4 of the early production cars to install the
Turbo engines in.  The most well known of these cars
was (and is) 502.  This car was used to "show off" the
performance at car shows, and to the press.

Later on when they realized how expensive the Twin
Turbo option would be, they started to experiment with
a single turbo engine that was not so different than
the BAE turbo kit on your car.

When DMC went bankrupt, they took Legend Industries
with them. At that point 2 DeLoreans had the "Twin
Turbo" setup, and 2 had the "single turbo". At the
bankruptcy auction of Legend, all 4 DeLoreans were
sold along with a few extra "Dyno, and endurance"
engines and lots of extra parts.

So, the quick answer is that the only relationship
between "Legend Cars" and 500 vin cars are that the 4
cars sent to Legend Industries were 500 vin cars.

Best I can tell, and new research may confirm or deny
this soon, 501, 502, 528, and 530 were the DeLoreans
at Legend Industries.  There are 4 other modified
engines that I know of, one is in 01860, one is owned
by Grady, and 2 more still in those Renault Alpines.

There is also an engine owned by DeLorean One, but
this was a mock-up engine built from an earlier 2.7L
PRV engine and assembled for publicity (The photo is
in SSI).  It was shipped around with most of the
internal parts removed (for weight), I am told that Ed
later built up this engine but could never get it to
run properly.

http://mail.yahoo.com