Re: [DML] Driving With Doors Open

Sorry - I saw alignment and thought suspension.

The doors themselves are not structural in the sense that the
frame is however they do increase the rigidity of the car when
they are closed.  This is a big deal in an accident but not
at low speeds on paved roads.

It's generally not a good idea to drive around with the doors open.
Others have done it in parades without any immediate problems.
I just don't think it's worth the risk.  The doors are heavy and have
a pretty good moment arm with respect to the torsion spring mounts
at the body.  If they start bouncing around or get caught by a gust of
wind, they will stress those mounts.  If you are just on the track
it should be smooth enough to not cause any problems but wind
is still a concern.

If you just have to have the doors open, I would suggest having
someone sitting in the passenger seat to keep an eye on the door
and prevent it from bouncing around too much.  If it turns out to
be windy that day, another alternative would be to keep them
closed most of the time and make a grand(er) entrance by opening
them simultaneously as you pass the grandstand.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from "ctdmc83" <nmastrocinque@xxxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------