Re: [DML] I hate my doors

I too have had frustrating problems with my door seals.  I have Grady's set
and they've yet to properly break in (after being installed for several
YEARS).  Of course, installation seems to be a bit of a voodoo art that
doesn't seem to be very documented.

Rob mentioned to me a procedure that they use that reshapes the seal mount
in the trouble areas (pretty much the area around the headliner).  I
*believe* that they grind the seal mount in such a way that it is
effectively angled outward and keeps the seal from being pinched.  I made
some notes on the process years ago but they're long gone and I've been
unsuccessful at wringing the procedure out of them since.

Until I can get it sorted out, I've moved the passenger seal off the
mounting and wedged it between the lip and the windshield glass (I never
drive in the rain).  Door closes smooth as glass now...

...and half the reason it closes so smoothly is because I screwed around
with the stiker pins for so long with bad seal fittment.  This includes
grinding away a part of the rear captive nut area so I could get the pin
another 1-2mm up and away from the body (see my previous threads on lost
captive nut :).  All that work never made a real difference in assisting the
seal fittment, but the door shuts so smoothly now that you think it's not
actually latching.

-Luke
10270