Re: [DML] I hate my doors

Don't worry, Ryan.  They will be back to smooth closing bliss in no time.
Here are a couple items I learned when I did this:

1.  NEVER do it in the winter time (ask me how I know).  The seals are
waaaay too hard to work when they're cold.

2.  Did you pull them tight when you put them on?  If not, remove them and
start over again.  Also make sure the orientation is correct (call the
vendor if necessary).  This time put the first couple inches on then pull
those mothers as tight as you can (it may help to have an assistant).  As
you pull the hell out of them, use a rubber mallet to beat those things on
the lip.  If you stretch them on tight, you will lower the pinchable seal by
quite a bit.

3.  After the seal is on, spray a bunch of silicone lube on a rag and
thoroughly wipe them down.  It will also decrease the likelihood of
pinching, and it makes the seal last a lot longer.

As for the striker, I seem to remember you having an early VIN?  If so, the
holes for the striker adjustment is much smaller than the later cars.  The
later cars had larger holes cut with the addition of black rubber grommets
to cover the excess hole.  Buy some of these grommets and increase the hole
by trimming away the fiberglass until you can reach the point you need.  Be
careful not to trim so much that you can't cover it up.  A vendor will be
able to tell you the right size hole-saw to use, but I didn't find it
necessary.  Then remove both striker pins from the door, and begin with the
back one.

Slowly close the door making small adjustments as necessary.  It will take
some trial and error, but you'll get better as you go.  Bear in mind the
"arc" the door makes when closing.  That is, typically your adjustment will
not just be up or down, but possibly "up and out" or "down and in."  Adjust
the striker so that it glides directly into the latch and that the latch
closes to the second position, but don't mess with the door locks during
this.  You should only be concerned with the latching at this point.  Once
you think you have it, close the door and push down several times on the
stainless at the rear of the stationary glass.  The door should be "tight"
with no bouncing on the seal or rattle on the latch.  When you've got this,
make sure the pin doesn't move and that it is good and tight.  Then move to
the front pin and repeat, only cuss a lot more.

Even after all this, you may still need to park the car in the sun for a
while before those seals fully seat themselves.  Just make sure the seal
isn't getting pinched.  After a week or so, they'll be closing as
effortlessly as a normal car door.

Good luck!

Jake Kamphoefner
1063