[DML] Re: removing engine and trans

*****  Moderator Note  *****
Dave - you forgot to disconnect the battery first...

Mike G   Moderator of the Week
*****

You'll need a cherry picker hoist. I can pull an engine in a couple
of hours, just make a checklist and disconect everything. Label hoses
and connections or make drawings. Most of this is in the manual:

--drain coolant and disconnect the 4 water lines, 2 large/two small
--remove axles (don't be tempted to leave them connected at the
wheels, you'll just hate yourself later)
--disconnect shifter
--remove the muffler, leave CAT in place
--if an automatic, drain the trans and remove the dipstick
--if an automatic disconnect the cooler from the large hoses and just
pull it out with the trans
--remove rear facia
--unplug all the bulkhead connectors and the O2 sensor
--disconnect a bunch of vacuum hoses
--disconnect the ground wire that goes from the engine to the two
resistors
--disconnect two fuel lines at the fuel distributor
--disconnect trans mounts and let the engine rock back against the
firewall (this is why the auto trans dipstick has to come out or
you'll bend up the mount).
--disconnect the throttle cable (easy to forget!)
--disconnect the cables that go to the starter
--removing the alternator helps but is not necessary unless you have
the aftermarket (fat) Delco
--remember take the nuts off BOTH front and back of the engine mounts
(on an automatic its a bit easier if you remove the screws holding
the mounts to the frame too/instead.) The bolt on the mount is
actually a double-ended stud inserted thru a hole in the block, but
it often freezes into the block.
--lift it out slowly and unhook all the stuff you missed. PAY special
attention that the motor mounts disengage or you will rip the rubber
part off OR even break the casting at the base of the engine. As you
lift the engine slighly, jog it to shake it loose from the mounts.

While it's out is a great time to do T/A bolts......and exhaust
gaskets, whether you need them or not.

Dave Swingle