[DML] removing engine and trans

Hello Group,

I've been pretty shady the last few months since I puchased a condo
early this summer and I am plagued with extremely limited internet
access until my laptop is repaired and my city's wireless network is
up.  My only access is at college and I rarely have time to jump on the
computer.  Should be back to the group in a couple weeks, I hope.

Anyway, I am planning on pulling my engine and trans this fall/winter
for at the minimum some exhaust work and general cleaning, and perhaps
if I feel up to it, some deeper engine work.

I have never done this before and would appreciate any help on what I
need to do the job.  I have a complete tool set from an aborted idea of
going to mechanic's school, but I don't have a cherry picker or trans
jack or anything.  I don't mind buying this stuff if it isn't too
expensive but I don't know what I need or where to look.  Who else has
done this without knowing what they were doing?

Andy