[DML] Concours Lovers - Possible Car For Sale Colorado

[DML] Concours Lovers - Possible Car For Sale Colorado

I recently had the pleasure of meeting another Delorean owner here in Colorado and he is "potentially" interested in selling his car. I saw and drove this wonderful car on Friday. (Personal Qualifications to judge this car- while I'm not an expert by any means, I am a fair mechanic and have had a relationship with my Delorean since 1985 when it had less than 6,000 Miles on it. I have also been a DML list member for quite a while.)

Vin 06116 Vital Statistics:
12,100 Miles (I am 99.9999% certain these are the true miles this car is "FRESH")
Speedometer was working brilliantly
Nov 81 Build
5 Speed
Gray interior
No Gas Flap but hood is grooved
Craig radio with rear drivers side factory mounted automatic antenna
(The passenger side front quarter panel was not butchered by a mast antenna like vin 3254!)
It also has the later model door straps and not the ring loop straps.
Door guides are intact all of the struts are correct but new.
1 piece trim pads along side the door

I took my car out to compare against this car and I like the looks of mine and think its in pretty good shape but this car, WOW! It is like brand new. The owner bought it with 11,400 miles on the clock as a toy & investment in 1992. Well due to his lifestyle and other interests he has driven it less than a thousand miles in the past 13 years. He even admitted this was the wrong investment, at the time he had the opportunity to buy a REAL unmolested Cobra for only a couple of grand more.... He said that car was sold again recently for over $100K.

As I said the car is fresh, the seats look like new and I don't mean new as in dried out new. It has original 1981 floor mats that could be sold as new. The gas, brake and clutch pedals look new. The interior is amazing, including the headliner. The switches are all untouched. This car doesn't need a new headlight switch because his looks and works showroom fresh as do his window and defrost switches. The clock works as does everything else. The exterior is perfect. The original headlights are still on the the car and work/look great. The car has not been driven at night even one time in the past 13 years. The front and rear facias look great, the tail and marker lights are bright and look new. All of the black trim including the louvers and mirrors are black and perfect.

This car is truly unmolested except for these items:
New Lowered suspension & Shocks from DMC Houston - Installed earlier this summer
AC system has been converted to R134
Battery shut off switch installed.
The overfill bottle has been replaced with a metal one (Not stainless).
But he does have the original and it is in great shape - replaced as a precaution.
Tires are Michilen Pilots  (But he has the original NCT's for the rear and they look Brand new.)
The fronts were burned to the core on the inside edge due some recent driving on the saggy old suspension and he didn't notice the problem until it was too late.)

The car has been living in heated/cooled garage all of its life -  original owner too. It has been stored correctly and driven a few miles every few months except when stored. It fires up easy and drives like a dream. The transmission shifts like butter. I had never driven a 5 speed Delorean in my life but this was one of the smoothest 5 speeds of any kind I have driven.  Even putting it in reverse was golden. The brakes are hard, firm and except for a bit of a squeak in the first few miles work beautifully even in a panic situation, no brake fade at all.  He encouraged me to drive it hard!

It is so clean (Dusty but clean) that even the emblems in the engine bay still have the pure white background, although the vaccum hose routing label appears too have dried out and wrinkled a bit (Another concourse hit for a $6.00 part). Even the frame looks new, I could see absolutely no cracking of the epoxy at all, which is what you would expect for a car from Dry Colorado that has never been driven in the elements. It even has the factory paint dabbs on the front stabilizer bar so the recalls in that area were done.

The car doesn't leak anything at all and the engine compartment looks great. As I said it rides great and runs really cool. It was 95 outside the day I drove it so I can also vouch for the AC.

The owner has been a pilot for 40 years and really takes care of his equipment and knows how to store things away for long periods correctly. He's well to do but does his own work, you can tell he doesn't cut corners just to save a buck! He lives outside the Denver area on 40 acres with his own runway and has a hanger for his plane and a 4 car garage for his toys.  Which include 1979 Mercedes Convertible, 1965 Ford Mustang GT and the Delorean. His 1st love is the Mustang GT which he's owned since 1972.

I say this car is potentially for sale because the owner doesn't need the money, he's 66 and has everything he needs plus he's building a second home outside Phoenix (The Mercedes is headed down there.) to be near his daughter in the winter. He has no plans to put the car in the paper because he doesn't want a hundred looky-lous showing up at his house simply to see the car and he won't E-bay. But if an interested person who wanted to enjoy the car took a look gave him a a fair offer, he would sell. He knows generally what Deloreans are worth and he hoped his would be at the top end, but since he had never even seen another one he wasn't certain. I can vouch for this car and it is at the very top of the price range.

I will be going over to see this beautiful machine again soon and since the owners home garage also has a pit, I will get all kinds of pictures of every inch of the car to verify what I have written today. We both were too excited to get out on the road and drive Friday to take many pictures, but I will happily share the ones I did take. I am no concours expert but after a bath (We did drive the car....) this car could place in any show as though it came right out of the box.

I would buy this car myself, but since my car is a family heirloom and I don't have room for two Deloreans I can't really justify it. Contact me off line if you are interested and I can put you in touch with the owner.

Dan Haney
Vin 3254 (Very jealous of vin 6116)

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet