Re: [DML] Re: Production twin turbo PRV

I'm going to measure my words carefully in this e-mail (or try to :-)

Without reciting a lot of Venturi-related history, which I have been
very interested in since discovering that Venturi produced an Esprit
competitor with a PRV engine that happens to be stunningly beautiful
(IMO), the Atlantique 300 single-turbo, which I absolutely and
completely must own one day, you can read about it here

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=103&i=3624

(The 300 had a 12v, contrary to that article)

Are they the best people to talk to about engineering a new PRV version
for the D? If the same engineers are still there with access to the same
data, then yes. They did more with that engine than anyone else. But
this was 10 years or so ago and the knowledge has seeped into owners
clubs here there and everywhere with an interest in the PRV, much the
same way as we have access to the workshop manuals for the DeLorean. The
knowledge is freely available if you look hard enough.

The bottom line is this: You can make the PRV into anything you like - a
fire-breathing 800hp monster can be done..... for the right money. (WM
Peugeot LeMans team springs to mind!) but if you insist on starting with
a 91mm bore block like we have, and especially if you want to keep it
odd-fire, you're going to hit trouble pretty much as soon as you start
if you want to use off-the-shelf parts, unless you're happy to drop the
capacity to 2458cc which is quite a mental hurdle when you know that the
3 litre 12v even-fire engines, extermally identical, are capable of
substantially more power for the same money.

Bottom line: There's a realistic limit of around 300hp for normally
aspirated PRV's (and that requires replacing pretty much all the
internals). A useable, drivable turbocharged engine of similar power can
be done for less money because there are lots of donor engines and parts
are readily available to do it. Much above 350hp on a single turbo a la
A610 / Atlantique 300 means going for a stupidly laggy turbo, or twin
turbos, whereapon you jump back into "custom parts" territory in a big
way - and there's a lot less room in the DeLorean engine bay than an
A610, I can tell you! Although we do have considerably better
ventilation (lots on the D vs pretty much none on the A610!)

I could write a very long essay on all this stuff, but it's late, I'm
tired and perhaps I'll write a webaite all about it :-)

Martin