RE: [DML] Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase

RE: [DML] Help!!!! Brought 06859 home today from ebay purchase

First off, good read.  I really like your personality.  You made some funny
comments and I'm sure you'll make lifelong friends real quick in the
DeLorean Community.

Second, I know it seems to be alot to take in right now but don't worry,
ALOT of new DeLorean owners don't understand fully the "qwirks" of this
prestigious and timeless automobile so it can be a bit scary in the
beginning.

I'll try to address as many of your issues as possible.

The Parking Brake.  It most certainly needs service.  Most local auto shops
can do the work if you do not live close to a major service center but I
would HIGHLY recommend a DeLorean Service Center if it's possible.  However,
be wary of anyone working on the car who does not appreciate the uniqueness
of the DeLorean.  If you have competent mechanical skill you may be able to
do the work yourself as braking systems are very similar in design for
various makes and models.

The Racing RPM's.  I'm positive it is either VACUUM or FUEL related.  Vacuum
is highly likely.  Check all your hoses for snugness and tears.

The "Just Married" sound.  I suspect it is fuel metering.  I just serviced a
car in Charlotte last week and while the owner drove around the parking lot
I could hear the exact sound you described coming from his exhaust during
light deceleration.  I made a small manual fuel adjustment and the car ran
perfectly without the sound of cans behind the car.  This needs to be done
by someone familiar with the car and the Bosch Fuel Injection.  It really
isn't that hard and the service manual describes the procedure.

The Banging Hard Left.  Possibly a Tie Rod End or wheel bearing

The Oil Presssure Gauge.  If it's original replace with a new upgraded unit.
  You're probably fine and it's a gauge problem if you think the pressures
too high.  However, my DeLorean (well, my old DeLorean) and another one here
always show close to or around 80lbs on the gauge.  Our engines are properly
filled and do not leak...everythings fine.

No Door Marker Lights.  Check the switch in the door jamb near the dash.
These had bad connections and may just need a cleaning and or tightening.
Also check the appropriate fuse.  I worked on a car that blew the fuse
everytime you plugged it in and we traced the fault to the engine
compartment light.

The Stainless Finish.  Don't worry...it's SS and it can be fixed!  DMCH does
EXCELLENT regraining of the Stainless.  Dings are apparent in almost every
DeLorean I've ever seen if they had a couple of years outside.  If it has a
good grain it hides the dings in most cases and they are only visible at
certain angles.  A friend of mine has a FLAWLESS grain finish (done by DMCH)
and it turns out after 2 years of seeing him and his car I spotted a small
ding.  He always knew it was there but I never saw it.  It was that good of
a finish and the ding really wasn't that big anyhow.

The Steering.  It takes some getting used to.  It will feel very loose once
you're moving.  Most auto critics regarded the DeLoreans handling as one of
it's BEST features.

Personally Nate, I woulda walked home or waited for another ride.  I'm not
knocking the car because it is a DeLorean and can ALWAYS be brought to
glory.  If I was under the assumption that I was buying a car in excellent
condition and saw that it was not up to the standards of how it was
represented I woulda backed out.  There has been an overwhelming amount of
DeLorean EBAY scams or misrepresented cars this year.  I've been reading
about them quite a bit here an in other forums.  Everyone reading this who
is thinking of buying a car online BE CAUTIOUS...with any vehicle purchase
online.  It isn't just EBAY...the scams and misrepresented cars have shown
up on other online car sites.

I can however, understand why you bought it aside from the pressure.  The
really are beautiful aren't they?  Just to touch the Stainless...it'll
always take me back to better days :)

We're all here to help you out so don't be afraid to ask questions even if
you think they sound dumb.  We've all been there and I think it's all been
said.  I find the DeLorean Owners really do become like family.  Once you
meet you have a whole new group of friends.  My favorite part of being an
owner was that when we all got together for a big cruise we were our own
club and the most popular wherever we went.

You'll know what I mean when you go to your first DeLorean Cruise in or car
show.

Welcome to the fold :)

Jeff in NC