[DML] No fuel delivered to fuel filter - accumulator problem?

[DML] No fuel delivered to fuel filter - accumulator problem?

hi,

i recently bought my delorean - #5380, which has been
stood around for 18 months after its previous owner
could not find a mechanic who could sort out its
mystery cooling problem.

before i can start figuring out the cooling, i need to
get the car running again.

i located the fuel filter - stuck in the wall of the
engine bay. pulled it out, pulled off the fuel feed
hose, stuck the hose in a can, and jumpered the fuel
pump relay to run the fuel pump constantly. (i was
trying to flush out the 18 month old fuel).

the fuel pump ran, but i got nothing out of the hose.
i pulled out the fuel pump, took off the output hose
expecting nothing, but got hosed with pressurised fuel
(lucky it never went in my eyes). so the pump was
pumping, but nothing was coming out the back of the
car. i checked the check value on top of the pump to
make sure it wasnt stuck, and it wasnt. i reconnected
the output hose and jumpered the pump on again, but
left the pump lying loose in its hole. then i noticed
that fuel was pouring out of the return pipe that runs
down the side of the pump.

i consulted the trusty delorean parts manual, only to
find "mystery" part #39 in section 2.1.0 which had no
key in the table. i had a look on the dmc website and
found out it is an accumulator, which is designed to
maintain pressure in the fuel system when the engine
is off, to prevent vapor locks and hot starting
problems.

the accumulator is the only place the fuel could
circulate back into the return line without ever
getting up to the fuel filter. so i have to assume
this is where the problem is. i have also discovered i
have to jack the damn car up to get to the accumulator
through an ominous sounding "access hole" in the
bottom of the car. (this car is awkward to work on -
everything seems to squeeze out through little holes
in the underbody).

anyhoo, my diagnosis is a burst diaphragm in the
accumulator, which means fuel just pumps into it, and
out the emergency leak return line connection, thus
never reaching the back of the car.

before i jack my car up and put it on wheel ramps,
does anyone have a smart suggestion about something
simple i've overlooked?

(p.s. i jumpered the inertia switch that cuts the fuel
off in an accident, but that made no difference -
where exactly does it cut the fuel off anyway?)

thanks in advance for any help,
james pilcher