[DML] Re: Followup on transmission flange seal fix

[DML] Re: Followup on transmission flange seal fix

Before you do the seal on the crank pulley check the blow-by. Pull the
oil cap off while the motor is running and see if there is much back
pressure. Normally the crankcase is under negative pressure. If the
engine has a lot of blow-by (from wear) the vacuum will not be enough
to create the negative pressure and you start to see leaks. One thing
to check is the metering orifice on the air tube where the hose
connects from the oil cap. If it gets dirty and plugged up you won't
get enough vacuum on the crankcase. You could also try enlarging it
but you will probably affect idle quality. Another thing to try is
going up a weight on your oil. With that mileage and the summer heat
you may be running a little thin. Of course you may still have a worn
seal (especially at that mileage). It is easier if you remove the
muffler and heat shield and even easier if you remove the rear facia!
In fact removing the facia is the only way you will be able to use an
impact gun on it. The other way to try it is to get a long breaker bar
on it and slam it with a hammer. It should come loose but then you
have to get a puller on it and there isn't enough room with the facia
in the way.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757