Re: [DML] DeLorean Values.

I hang out with a lot of Ferrari and Lamborghini owners, and the reason high
end sports cars like these are never used as daily drivers is because of the
super high and frequent maintenance
and level of comfort.
It is hard to find a happy medium between super car, and moderate sports
car.
These 12 cylinder beasts have hard suspension, hot gas guzzling engines
and cost about $1+ per mile to drive.
In contrast, Mustang's, Camero's, Corvette's etc.. are every day sports cars
with
great performance and reliability but they are common and don't get the
attention
that a super car gets.
If you are driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Saleen.... or even a DeLorean you
will get
tremendous attention - which is what we all want, that' why we drive such
pretentious cars.
There is no arguing that point.
The DeLorean is special enough to park next these super cars and get equal
attention.

The happy medium would be that if we could mesh the super car with the every
day car.
The automobile makers have been trying to do it, but nothing that comes off
the lot
now a days (that any of us can afford) will get them same attention that a
Countach
gets when the scissor door goes up.
Same as our cars.
So if we could put in a new modern engine, electrical system and modern
interior
and basically keep the external lines of the car untouched you would have
one heck
of a daily driver super car!
Houston was on the right track with their new interior, but they were going
strictly
for aesthetics and not so much for usability when you consider how they set
the back shelf area.
I would like to see more storage, better placement of speakers, a CUP
HOLDER, better placement
of air vents, better design of the center console to fit a large touch
screen dvd navigation system, etc.... Now, I know that DMCH already put
something like that together, but they did it in a
proprietary way so that you could not choose or change the radio or screen.
They also made the rear shelf look cool, but not very useful for storage.

These are not all cosmetic things I am talking about, it's all about making
life go by easy
while in the car. If a powerful modern EFI engine with an auto 5 speed is
installed
you could drive with power and confidence.
I am not talking about some old crate engine with a carb on it... that's
trouble too.
I am talking about a modern, 2005 crate engine.
Several are under consideration, Honda, Dodge, Ford, etc.
...this is where I hit a roadblock. I am not a mechanic and I have never
done an engine
swap before so this is a big undertaking.
However, when you add up all the costs of doing the Houston engine upgrade
and all
you end up with is maybe 200HP and still 25 year old technology, with that
same money
or a little more you have something more modern and clean.

One day I will dive in and find out what an undertaking it is.
- VB

>From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [DML] DeLorean Values.
>Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:45:35 -0700
>
>Marc, VB, & list,
>
>My opinion, for what it's worth: I would pay a significant premium for
>a DeLorean with a different engine & transmission. Give me a 6 speed
>with 300-400hp and I'd be all over it. Remember the DeLorean with the
>rotary engine in it? Someone told me it's ultimate selling price was
>~$16k. Had I known I could talk them down that low, I would have
>bought it in an instant.
>
>The PRV is S-L-O-W. It was slow in '81. It's slow today. To argue
>otherwise is ridiculous. The car's lines scream speed but you'd be
>hard pressed to win a drag race with a modern minivan. Now, most
>people here probably don't care about that. I think a majority of
>DeLorean owners use them as a Sunday driver and just want to take in
>the scenery. There's nothing wrong with that. I've been enjoying my
>car in the same fashion (except, on a daily basis). But, boy, when
>people ask, "Is it fast?" I'd love to respond, "Twin turbo V8. 0-60 in
>3.2. Eight miles per gallon and worth every drop."
>
>#5447 will ultimately be a custom car in exactly this fashion. I
>think, as younger owners begin to purchase these cars, you will see
>more and more of this and the value of such vehicles will rise
>significantly above stock.
>
>-Ryan

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]