[DML] Re: Odd Starting Issue

These are always difficult to diagnosis. Assuming you have a
generally good tune on the car, there are some typical issues that
can cause your symptoms.

Since you are "getting by" for now I would suggest a few simple
checks before embarking on a major test or part swap campaign.

Check the ignition high-volt start circuit. Primarily the relay
mounted on the firewall by the engine compartment light switch. It
is often overlooked and if it is not functioning can cause a hard
start. Interestingly, the relay does not show in any wiring diagram
I've seen either. The circuit does but not the relay. If the ground
to the engine for the relay is disconnected or weak the relay will
not function and there is no hot spark voltage. So, check this relay
and its wiring.

Check all the wiring to the coil and the voltage resistor - good
connections are important here.

Swap out the RPM relay. If you don't have a spare you should have
one - These can act up and there are a couple of versions - one
being better than the other as you might suspect. See Hervey's web
page for an explanation.

Run a cleaner in the fuel system. Selecting the right cleaner can be
somewhat of a problem because some cleaners may be dangerous to the
seals in the fuel system. I recommend Marvel Mystery Oil - the red
stuff. I have used this stuff in D's for 20 years and it keeps the
fuel system spotless - not to mention the intake valves and ports,
etc. - spotless. It can also clean deposits from the internal check
valves and improve the seal for a longer fuel pressure leak-down.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Todd Nelson <tan5732@xxxx> wrote:

> I seem to be having an odd starting issue.  I have noticed that
whenever the car is parked outside on a semi-hot day (75-85 *F)
while I'm at work it will take significant cranking for the engine
to catch (7-8 cranks) when I go to drive home.  But it does catch
and runs just fine after that.  However, after the car has spent the
night in the garage it will start up just fine in the morning on the
first or second crank.  I have also noticed that hot starting is
fine, just periodic cold-start issues during warmer weather.  The
hotter the day, the harder the start.  I have replaced the fuel
accumulator, the fuel pump with a new check valve and have verified
that the cold-start valve is functioning as well as the thermal time
switch.  Any thoughts?