Re: [DML] Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pict

Re: [DML] Re: Giugiaro's Personal DeLorean--VERY different interior Pictures

I did a thorough documentation of the Giugiaro DeLorean at the Italian show.
Pictures and video will be on my site during my next update.

I can tell you a little about the car from what I observed.  The car is a
July 1981 build with Vin #SCEDT26T9BD002465.  It has 3,200 miles on it and
is an Automatic.

>From my observations of the car, it is not a prototype at all.  The car
appears to be a black automatic that was given to Giugiaro, and then
Giugiaro and his team experimented with the interior of the car.  All of the
carpets in the car have been switched to custom beige/tan.  All the
headliners were matched with this color.  And the parts of the car such as
the center console, knee pad, sun visors, etc., were restitched with
beige/tan leather.  The seats are the same stock seats, you can tell by the
headrests.  But the design of the padding of the seats internally were
modified to make it feel and look much more like the 1980 style DeLorean
prototype/pre-production car that can be seen in the early brochures.  I sat
in the car and drove around in it, and the seats were very comfortable.

I was speaking to Giugiaro's representative, and he said that the car was
built in Italy (He has only been with Giugiaro for the last six years).  I
highly doubt this though.  It really appears to have been given to them, and
then they made alterations at Ital Design.  The funniest part of the car
were the gas struts for the car.  They were installed upside down and were
humongous.  Not sure if the pictures posted show this, but I have close ups
and I am shocked the door even can shut.  No engine or undercarriage pieces
appear different from a stock DeLorean.

Hope this helps with the myth of the Giugiaro DeLorean.  Expect a full
report on my web-site sometime in the near future.  Also, big thanks to the
organizers of the Italian DeLorean Show.  I just got back from my vast
European trip and had a blast.  The show they put on was a lot of fun.  I
had a great time with the Italian owners and fans as well as the German
owners that came down.  All a bunch of great people and they had a few very
cool DeLoreans on hand.

Regards,
Tamir