Re: [DML] New delorean owner - some questions on repairs

Re: [DML] New delorean owner - some questions on repairs

Answers in-line...

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:00:32 -0000
  "Derek" <derek.grozio@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>- The AC is said to work when the compressor is jumped to
>the battery, but it will not turn
>on from the dash switch. There is a constant hissing
>behind the dash. *My assumption* is
>that it is the mode switch. I know Gradys sells a
>replacement for the rubber part that tends
>to break down. Does this sound like the correct
>diagnosis?

perhaps correct... also check vac hoses on back of switch,
be sure none are knocked loose...

>- The door lights do not work nor (I do not believe) do
>the engine or trunk lights. *My
>assumption* is that it is fuses or relays that need to be
>replaced, and I am planning on
>getting the kits from one of the vendors. I also read
>that some people might disconnect
>them for shows, which is highly possible with this car.
>Where would I look for such a
>thing?

Under dash, kneepads... the wires plug into the switch
(posts) where door closes on them.

In engine bay, there is a 2 wire plunger style switch near
the resistor on the back wall.. left rear corner.

>- The one tail light flickers. *My assumption* is that it
>is a bad connection on the board. I
>know they can be replaced, but I thought I also recall
>someone saying you can use a nut
>and bolt to tighten up the light compartment for better
>contact. Any ideas on this?

There are 2 rivits that hold each bulb holder to the
circuit boards in each side of the car... you can pass a
small bolt through each rivet and tighten down to crush
the rivet and restore contact... or get reacement boards.

>- I do not believe the reverse lights worked. My friend
>who went with me said he did not
>recall them going on during the test drive. I am lost at
>this one as I never read about this
>issue before.

The reverse light switch is located on the 5-speed
transmission (dunno about the auto) under the car on the
driver side... has 2 wires that go to it and a rubber boot
over it.

>- The volt meter on the guages did not register. Could
>this be a fuse or relay issue? Owner
>said it did work to his knowledge prior to the test
>drive.

Not sure...