[DML] privacy concerns

I would be furious if a vendor (or any company I do business with)
published information on my purchasing habits without getting my prior
permission.

Most commercial websites have a published "Privacy Policy" where they
specifically state that your private info will be "used for ABC but not
XYZ".  It's more about principle than about when I last bought a set of
spark plugs.  I certainly divulge all manner of private info here and
elsewhere, but it was my prerogative to do so, or not.  In all fairness to
Rob, he was responding in a legal matter and may have ultimately been
compelled to provide such information, since sales records and not
generally considered privileged.

While I'm sure none of the vendors are selling my personal info to, say, a
spammer, there is nothing preventing them from doing so except their
integrity.

FWIW, James Espey asked for my permission to use my words in one DMCH's
ads, even though they had plucked the quote right off the DML.  I really
appreciated that.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, Texas