[DML] Re: Emissions

State level regulations vs. Federal level regulations are ALWAYS going
to be an ongoing fight. Here is what the EPA has to say about
Catalytic Converters:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Now in their wisdom however, the EPA has givin a loophole here. In
regards as to replacing a CAT, they say, "Generally, there are only 3
situations where you can install an aftermarket converter." The
keyword here being "Generally". They did not say that these are the
absolute end-all, be-all situations for legal replacement of the CAT.
No, these are the 3 main, "general" situations that you might
encounter. And these rules are ONLY for mechanics performing said
modifications. These are not for the vehicles themselves, per se.

The EPA and state governments have a pretty Laze Faire attitude when
it comes to replacement of CATs. Not removal, but replacement. As long
as it passes smog, that's all they care about. I've had plenty of
people examine my car to make sure that I didn't need a smog pump, and
that I had a CAT installed. But no one has ever bothered to check if
the label on the cat stated that it was specificly for my vechicle.

Same with engine swaps, which contrary to what the person told you on
the phone, ARE infact legal. The only requirements being the the new
powerplant be the same year as, or newer than, the vehicle it will be
installed into. In some cases, there may even be an extra step, such
as in California, where you have to bring the car into the Smog Lab to
have it tested for emissions requirements. But they're certainly legal.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8_Smog.html

Does the sticker on that page look familiar to anyone? :)

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"