Re: [DML] "Professional" Mechanics

Better too tight than too loose. In the 60's and 70's mechanics (and I
use that term loosely) would routinely break off the lug nuts and
studs on Chrysler products. Chrysler used left-hand threads on the
left side of the car. The idea was they would tend to tighten
themselves. In 71 Chrysler gave up on that idea, too many broken studs
and it wasn't really necessary. The guys doing tire work are not
rocket scientists, it is a low paying job. It is one of those
"starter" type jobs where you can take a new hire and put him on it
with little training. Like oil changes. These jobs are
"bottom-of-the-barrel" kind of jobs. Unfortunately they can have very
serious consequences if done improperly! Every shop can tell you a
horror story about the guy who forgot to tighten the wheel lugs and
the customer drove out but not back! As I have said before any shop is
only as good as it's worst mechanic on a bad day. And they all have
bad days. It is how they stand behind the problems that separate out
the good shops from the bad ones. A good shop will care about it's
reputation.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757